Tuesday, September 02, 2014

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: AZJohn
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 1514

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 40
Total: 41
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: fjlarry > Forums
 Visitors:
01: Calendar
02: Calendar
03: Home
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Forums
07: Calendar
08: Home
09: Calendar
10: Calendar
11: Home
12: Forums
13: Calendar
14: Forums
15: Calendar
16: Calendar
17: Calendar
18: Calendar
19: Calendar
20: Calendar
21: Home
22: Calendar
23: Calendar
24: Calendar
25: Calendar
26: Calendar
27: Calendar
28: Home
29: Calendar
30: Calendar
31: Forums
32: Home
33: Home
34: Home
35: Calendar
36: Calendar
37: Calendar
38: Calendar
39: Calendar
40: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Bloody Basin Road - 2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Bloody Basin Road - 2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Bloody Basin Road - 2.0 Reply with quote

We decided to run a dirt road after a very long week at work and interviewing prospective employees on Sunday. We chose Bloody Basin Road
exit 259 off of I-17 going toward Flagstaff, AZ. The area is rich with history and given the name for :

(exit 259 off the I-17) was named such because of a notable indian fight in March 1873. The fight was between the army and the Apache Indians. It is an absolutely beautiful area and yesterday it was filled with spring flowers. All of the hills are green (for Arizona) because of all of the rain we have had overthe last few monthsIts about 50 miles of scenic terrain and bumpy sometimes narrow traveling.
We actually met up with a FJC-TRD se with a nice guy and his daughter . We traveled the rest of the day with We traveled along being jolted by deep ruts in the road, crossing streams, and manerving over a few obstacles while heading for the Sheep Bridge. The Sheep Bridge is a suspension bridge located within the Agua Fria National Monument Lands and crosses the Verde River. The bridge was built in 1989 replacing the oldBridge which was built to allow sheep herders a safer way to herd their sheep from the low country to high country, rather than crossing the hazaradous Verde River

As we were traveling toward the Verde River a pickup with a flatbed passed us with a Cougar strapped to the flatbed. His 10 year old boy was attacked with claw marks down his back. the quick thinking grandfather pulled a 9mm and shot it once through the chest which didnt seem to phase the cougar. So he shot it again dropping it. The boy was ok but clawed on the back

As day was winding down.
We were driving a fun pace leaving the area with about 20 or so miles left to get back to Carefree. I was following the other FJ. I got blinded by a dusty spot near dusk when I made a small but serious driving mistake. I could not see the trail and a rock fallen into the trail I did not see. I hit it with my RF tire and knew I had trouble. Bent wheel, alignment out and broken studs left me to have my truck flat bedded out after midnight. Luckily This fellow Fj drivers daughter had a connection to a guy that hauled heavy equipment and he came to the rescue. He drove us home at 3 am then brought my fj to my house where it sits in the garage awaiting some new front end parts. Besides the small incident, it was a very nice trip which I would recommend. I will attach the link to all of the pictures from the trip.. Because of the sensitive nature, I did not post any pictures of the couger. They are on the web album if you choose to see them
thanks
Don
picasaweb.google.com/p...yBasinRoad

Last edited by Wikid on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

For those that read this report you may want to read it again I left out the most important part of the trip
10 YEAR OLD BOY WAS ATTACKED BY A COUGAR

Last edited by Wikid on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

I read about that on the news... that's crazy that you were there and saw the cougar! wow!!

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

Last edited by Wikid on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

Last edited by Wikid on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

Ya that kid was lucky, but it sounds like due to the rabies that Cougar was quite out of it. Sorry to hear about the trail damage but I guess you gotta pay to play! Hopefully you will be back out on the road soon.

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

Last edited by Wikid on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazycarwes
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

Dude you're hiring WTF? me make good door!

Damn thats a crazy story don! That glad to hear the boy will be ok and that sucks about the truck but sounds like a good time!

Wes
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

wow what a day! glad to hear everyone is ok... the FJ can be fixed...

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

Thanks guys
Update on critter. By news accounts its a mountain lion.
thanks
Don
SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

Wow! Hadn't heard about the cougar/mountain lion until now. Thats crazy.

I was on this trail earlier this year and saw a guy roll a quad pretty bad. Put a big gash in his head, I don't think he felt it though because there were about 40 busch light cans that scattered on the ground around him.
Commie
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

I gotta check out this road, it sounds like it has it all. Danger, cheap domestic alcohol and huge predatory animals.

Also, all the more reason to haul a sidearm with you when you're out in the sticks.

Just don't get carried too away.

crazycarwes
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

Just got back from this trail. Cool little run with tons of offshoots that were not yet explored by me.

Wes
Remcon
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

This week's friday night run did this instead of the Table Mesa run. Way nice night for it, nice and cool and made me want to spend the night. This was a Fiesta food night and we had a couple of tables set up and cooking done by campfire and camp stove.

Don't think any of us got any carnage and yeah, talk about being dusted out, a couple of times I had to stop and wait for the dust to clear.

Some of what we saw last night was a scorpion, tarantula, and huge ants along with fox, deer and skunks!

A tarantula:

And now with 3" OME lift!
Chigoe
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Basin Road 2.0 Reply with quote

At some point near the end of the run by Seven Springs, I approached a dead skunk in the road, and just as i passed over him, he looked up at me!!!!(not dead at all)
I zipped over the top and BaronVonRoot, following close, in his XJ got sprayed by the little booger.
Said his whole garage smelled so bad he ended up at the carwash!!!!!!
Also spotted a fox on the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: