Thursday, October 23, 2014

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: ABH3_SW
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1558

People Online:
Members: 4
Visitors: 66
Total: 70
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: progolfer_20 > Home
02: ratfink > Forums
03: sl33p3r > Forums
04: zzmikey > Forums
 Visitors:
01: Home
02: Home
03: Home
04: Home
05: Home
06: Home
07: Home
08: Home
09: Home
10: Home
11: Home
12: Home
13: Home
14: Home
15: Home
16: Home
17: Home
18: Home
19: Home
20: Home
21: Home
22: Home
23: Home
24: Home
25: Home
26: Home
27: Home
28: Home
29: Home
30: Home
31: Forums
32: Home
33: Home
34: Home
35: Home
36: Home
37: Home
38: Home
39: Home
40: Home
41: Home
42: Home
43: Forums
44: Home
45: Home
46: Home
47: Home
48: Home
49: Home
50: Forums
51: Your Account
52: Home
53: Home
54: Your Account
55: Your Account
56: Forums
57: Home
58: Forums
59: Home
60: Home
61: Calendar
62: Home
63: Forums
64: Home
65: Home
66: Calendar

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Italian Trap (Tucson - Reddington)-2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Italian Trap (Tucson - Reddington)-2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.mus.ed
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Italian Trap (Tucson - Reddington)-2.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
Italian Trap is a nice easy trail for stockers looking to have some fun. A nice blend of rocks and smooth sections, with a few good hill climbs thrown in for fun.
At the end is a large wash with several nice camping areas. The Arizona Trail continues south across the wash from where you arrive, but is closed to vehicles. Some nice secluded pools can be found here when there is water present.
The trail is a dead end so back out the way you came, or you can take a newer offshoot out that will connect you to the Chiva Falls trail a few miles before Three Feathers. This trail can be found in the last portion of the trail breaking off to the West - it is fairly obvious.

Group Size
The trail is plenty large enough at the end to allow a big group to park and turn around. Bring your friends!

Difficulty
The trail starts out with a steep rutted descent, but is wide giving you choice of lines. A few more climbs and descents follow, eventually leading to a long easy section. Stock 4wd FJ's are good to go.

Length
Short, trail head to trail end will take between 30-45 minutes.

The start of the trail is approximately at mile 12.5 of Reddington Road. Reset your trip odo when your tires touch dirt and the trail head is at about 9.5 miles. Turn right (South) into the trail head and continue heading south past a short (dead-end) road to your left.

Aerial of the trail:

Pictures
Turn-off to the trail:

Look down the first obstacle:

Another steep rutted hill:

This is the trail that takes you to Chiva Falls:

Little climb out of a wash:

Some big mud puddles here - the water goes, but the mud stays for a long time here:

One of two campsites under big trees at the end:

Here's from another day about a week later and after some rains, this is the wash you have to drive through to get to the campsite (about 100 yards left from the end of the trail):

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail
Unknown.

GPS Track
Unavailable

Last edited by a.mus.ed on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap 2.5 (Tucson - Reddington) Reply with quote

Awesome!

I've always been a bit confused what is "Italian Trap" and what is "Chiva Falls" and how many Chivas there actually are! Laughing

Been meaning to go down there with the GPS and topo maps and settle it once and for all.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
a.mus.ed
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap 2.5 (Tucson - Reddington) Reply with quote

Ya, I never actually knew what it was called until a few years ago. I've been going there with my dad since I was a kid, and he'd been going there with his dad since he was a kid. Apparently they used to drive their Morris Minor out there to go hunting - no pics of theirs, but here's one for reference:
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap 2.5 (Tucson - Reddington) Reply with quote

Great write up! Thanks for participating!!

I look forward to seeing some pics...

....maybe one day....when there is a Tucsonfest...we can run this trail!! Wink

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap 2.5 (Tucson - Reddington) Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for the writeup!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
a.mus.ed
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap (Tucson - Reddington)-2.5 Reply with quote

heading out there tomorrow evening for reconnaissance. anyone interested in coming along?

meet 5:30 at the circle k on tanque verde. i don't have a gps yet, so it'd be great if someone with one came along to record some waypoints!

could be a really fun trip with thunderstorms in the forecast - nice and cool, plus chance of water and some lightning in the sky...

call or post if you wanna come along:
five twenty - three sixty - fifteen three niner.

-cayce
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap (Tucson - Reddington)-2.5 Reply with quote

Sorry it's late and I've been in the heat for too long...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap (Tucson - Reddington)-2.5 Reply with quote

Cayce how long is this trail? I'm on the far NW side at Dove Mtn. Tangerine/Thornydale area. Could be real interesting if we get the
storms they are forecasting. Any wash crossings that may be a challange
to cross with water flow?

520-955-1168

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap (Tucson - Reddington)-2.5 Reply with quote

Mr_R2FJ wrote:

Sorry it's late and I've been in the heat for too long...

FISHY!!!!!!!

AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap (Tucson - Reddington)-2.5 Reply with quote

tmac wrote:
Cayce how long is this trail? I'm on the far NW side at Dove Mtn. Tangerine/Thornydale area. Could be real interesting if we get the
storms they are forecasting. Any wash crossings that may be a challange
to cross with water flow?

From the trail head it isn't too long, although I've never paid attention to the time while I'm out... I'm gonna guess about 1 hour from the trail head, which starts at mile 12.5 on Redington Rd. I usually go with my fiancée and dogs, and I go really slow while they walk, so my memory is kinda skewed.

As far as crossings go, the only big one will be at the end of the trail - we could drive upriver a hundred yards or so to see a camp spot, but it is unnecessary to do if it is really flowing. There are some lowlands near the end that will have some mud, depending on how bad the rain has been they could be pretty deep. There are also a couple smaller water crossings along the way, but only about a car length across or so. I've only been there once during a major storm, and that was about 15 years ago, so it will be very interesting to see if it gets poury

Once we go in we can decide to take the longer way out through Chiva, or come back out the way we came, which will be shorter, if you're worried about time.
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Trap (Tucson - Reddington)-2.5 Reply with quote

Someone take some GPS tracks if you go out there again! =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: